The original bridge was built in 1901 to bring fruit grown in Fair Oaks to the newly built railroad spur that connected to the markets of Sacramento.
Flooding and Changes:
The original Fair Oaks Bridge was destroyed by floodwaters in 1907 but was rebuilt in 1908/09. The bridge was closed to vehicular traffic in 1967 and is currently used as a pedestrian and bicycle crossing.
The bridge was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2006 due to its historical and architectural significance.
It is the 2nd oldest of 10 surviving bridges of this type in California.